About Kerry Washington
Kerry Washington is a renowned American actress and producer. Born and brought up in New York City, Kerry began her journey to fame via theater productions in school and college, before making her way to American television.
She made her acting beginning in the early 90s with a guest role in the series ‘ABC Afterschool Special.’ In 2000, she finally entered into films with a magnificent performance in ‘Our Song.’ Following this, she starred in many critically and commercially applauded films and TV series, and regularly, came to be known as one of the best African–American actresses of this time.
Her popularity peaked with the 2005 hit ‘Mr. And Mrs. Smith,’ starring and Angelina Jolie. The 2012 action-drama ‘Django Unchained’ was another career milestone for her.
Her leading role as Olivia Pope in the drama series ‘Scandal’ brought her solid critical acclaim. She received several awards and nominations for her role in ‘Scandal.’ She was featured on ‘Time’ magazine’s ‘Time 100’ list of influential people.
||Kerry Marisa Washington
||(as in 2022) 45 years
|Sun Sign/Zodiac Sign
||The Bronx, New York, USA
|Date of Birth
||31 January 1977
||in Feet/Inches- 5’4″
in Centimeters- 163 cm
in Meters- 1.63m
||in Kilograms- 53 kg
in Pounds- 117 pounds
|Race / Ethnicity
||2 (US) or 34 (EU)
||8 (US) or 38.5 (EU)
||Valerie (Professor and educational consultant)
||Earl Washington (Real estate broker)
||24 June 2013
||Son- Caleb Kelechi Asomugha
Daughter- Isabelle Amarachi Asomugha
||Spence School in Manhattan in 1994
||The George Washington University in Washington, D.C. in 1998
Michael Howard Studios in New York City
||Graduated and double majored with a Phi Beta Kappa (an honor)
||1. Neutrogena (2013)
2. She is the brand ambassador and creative consultant of the beauty brand.
3. In 2016, supported (or endorsed) Hillary Clinton during the 2016 Presidential Elections and appeared in a commercial alongside Ellen Pompeo, Viola Davis, and Shonda Rhimes.
Relationship & more
||1. David Moscow (2003-2007)
2. Common (2007) (Rapper)
3. Lawrence O’Donnell (2008)
4. Efraim Grimberg (2008)
5. Nnamdi Asomugha (2012-Present)
|Favourite TV Show
||Game of Thrones (2011-present)
Kerry Washington was born on January 31, 1977, in Bronx, New York City, to Valerie Earl. Her father was a real estate broker, while her mother worked as an education consultant and professor. Washington had an extroverted nature ever since she was a kid, which further amplified her desire to perform in front of the camera. She expressed her wish to her parents, but they did not care about it much.
However, Kerry’s aspirations were strong, by the time she was in her teenage years. She attended the same middle school as Jennifer Lopez, and they became great friends during their school days, sharing their ambitions about making it big in show business. Kerry also learned how to dance from Lopez.
Growing up, she had another role model in Larry Maldonado, who lived in her neighborhood in the Bronx and played a major role in sustaining Kerry’s dreams of becoming an actress. Kerry started participating in theater in high school and eventually, became one of the most popular kids in her school.
In order to further polish her acting skills, she joined the teen wing of ‘TADA! Youth Theater.’ She was also interested in political affairs and attended Nelson Mandela’s speech at the ‘Yankee Stadium’ upon his release from prison. She started acting while in high school, and after she graduated from a school in 1994, she joined the ‘George Washington University’ for further studies.
She graduated from college with a double major in sociology and anthropology. This was a backup, in case acting did not turn out well for her. She was exceptional in academics and rejected offers from ‘Yale University’ and ‘Dartmouth College’ to concentrate on her acting career. She took acting lessons at the ‘Michael Howard Studios’ before officially plunging into the world of Hollywood
Kerry Washington has a net worth of $50 million.
|Estimated Net Worth in 2022
|Previous Year’s Net Worth (2021)
|Annual Salary 2020
|Annual Salary 2019
|Annual Salary 2018
In the early seasons of Scandal, Washinton earned $80,000 per episode, roughly $1.5 million per year. At her peak of the series Scandal, she earned a salary per episode of $250,000, roughly $4.5 million. With endorsement earnings from contracts with companies like Neutrogena, Apple, and Movado. All-in, Washington earned $13 million in 2016, $11 million in 2017, and $12 million in 2018; a total of $36 million in just those three years alone.
For the Hulu show Little Fires Everywhere, Kerry joined the exclusive club of actors who have earned over $1 million for a single episode of television. She earned $1.1 million per episode in the first season. There were 8 episodes which mean she earned a little under $9 million for the season.
In 2013, Kerry and Nnamdi paid $1.9 million for a home in Los Angeles. The seller was MadTV actress/comedian Nicole Sullivan. They sold the home in 2016 for $2.7 million. Around the same time as that sale, the couple paid $6.75 million for an extremely private home in Beverly Hills. A year later they paid a little under $4 million for an adjacent home, giving them an even more extremely private gated compound.
As of this writing, they still own Kerry’s New York City apartment and Nnamdi’s Manhattan Beach, Ca townhome, both of which were bought separately before they met.
Movies And TV Shows
- While she made her film debut in Our Song in 2000, Washington had one of her first career breakthroughs the following year. She won over audiences with her role in Save the Last Dance (2001), starring Julia Stiles.
- Soon after the release of this popular teen drama, Washington moved on to comedy. She appeared in the humorous action film Bad Company (2004), starring Chris Rock and Anthony Hopkins.
- Washington’s career really took flight in 2004; she had several major movie roles that year, including Della Bea Robinson, the wife of blind singer and musician Ray Charles, in the biopic Ray.
- Washington received strong reviews for her performance, and her co-star, won an Academy Award for his portrayal of Charles. That same year, she starred opposite Anthony Mackie in Spike Lee’s dramatic comedy She Hate Me.
- The versatile actress tried her hand at the comic book action genre with 2005’s Fantastic Four, portraying sculptor Alicia Masters opposite Ioan Gruffudd, Jessica Alba, Chris Evans, and Michael Chiklis. The following year, Washington once again showed off her skills as a dramatic actress in The Last King of Scotland.
- She won raves for her nuanced turn as the wife of Ugandan dictator Idi Amin, as played by Forest Whitaker. Around this time, Washington also had a recurring role on the hit television series Boston Legal.
- In 2007, Washington re-teamed with Rock for I Think I Love My Wife, playing a vixen who gets involved with a married man. The part gave Washington the opportunity to branch out from the many devoted wife roles she had tackled in the past.
- She went on to explore interracial relationships with the thriller Lakeview Terrace (2008), in which she plays an African-American woman married to a white man (Patrick Wilson). The couple is harassed by an African-American cop (Samuel L. Jackson).
- With For Colored Girls (2010), Washington worked with an impressive ensemble of actresses, including Whoopi Goldberg, Phylicia Rashad, Janet Jackson, and Thandie Newton. The film, directed and written by Tyler Perry, was an adaptation of a play by Ntozake Shange.
- In 2012, Washington reunited with Ray co-star Foxx for Quentin Tarantino’s western Django Unchained. She played Broomhilda von Shaft, a slave married to Foxx’s title character. In the film, the pair are separated, and Django teams up with a bounty hunter (Christoph Waltz) to find her. The following year, Washington was featured in the comedy/drama Peeples.
- Also in 2012, Washington moved to the small screen to star on the political drama Scandal, created by ABC powerhouse Shonda Rhimes. In the series, Washington played Olivia Pope, a “fixer,” or person who cleans up scandals and other messes for her clients.
- Washington added another accomplishment to her roster of acting feats when she portrayed lawyer/academic Anita Hill in the 2016 HBO film Confirmation. The movie dramatized the 1991 Congressional hearings in which Hill asserted that Supreme Court justice nominee Clarence Thomas had s*xually harassed her in the workplace. Washington received Emmy and Golden Globe nominations for her performance.
- Washington joined the nostalgic proceedings when ABC launched its two-part Live in Front of a Studio Audience in 2019, playing Helen Willis in the one-off revival of The Jeffersons. The following March, she co-starred in the Hulu miniseries Little Fires Everywhere, as a nomadic artist who upends the idyllic life of character.
||Save the Last Dance
||Take the A Train
||The United States of Leland
The Human Stain
||Against the Ropes
She Hate Me
Mr. & Mrs. Smith
The Last King of Scotland
The Dead Girl
||I Think I Love My Wife
Put It in a Book
30,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
||Woman in Burka
Miracle at St. Anna
||Life Is Hot in Cracktown
Mother and Child
||Night Catches Us
For Colored Girls
||A Thousand Words
TV Shows & Serials List
||ABC Afterschool Special
Law & Order
100 Centre Street
||Jimmy Kimmel Live
Saturday Night Live
||How to Get Away with Murder
Live in Front of a Studio Audience
||Little Fires Everywhere
Social And Political Activism
Washington is active in many social and political causes. She is a member of the Creative Coalition and sits on the board of V-Day, an organization that works to end violence against women. Washington was also a strong supporter of President Barack Obama and campaigned on his behalf.
Some unknown facts about
- She was among the highest-paid actress list on television in 2013. For the first time, she was ranked at #20 on the list.
- She is obsessed with pineapple.
- She was also in her swimming team in high school, just like her character in Scandal.
- She learned traditional Indian theater and yoga from India after finishing college.
- Kerry is named after a county in Ireland.
- She got her driving license after she turned 20.
- She does not drink coffee.
- While shooting Scandal, she started a tradition for the Scandal team. Whenever she starts filming a new episode, she shouts the episode number, applauds, and hits the furniture to make noise.
- Kerry’s grandparents’ names are inscribed on the Ellis Island’s memorial wall.
- She also has a dog named Josie.
- Kerry graced the cover of Marie Claire’s November “Power” 2018 issue.