About Farhan Akhtar
Farhan Akhtar was born January 9, 1974 is an Indian film actor, director, screenwriter, play singer, producer and television host. Born in Mumbai to screenwriters Javed Akhtar and Honey Irani, he grew up influenced by the Hindi film industry. He started his career in Bollywood working as an assistant director in Lamhe (1991) and Himalay Putra (1997).
Akhtar, after setting up a production company named Excel Entertainment with Ritesh Sidhwani in 1999, made his directorial debut with Dil Chahta Hai (2001) and received critical acclaim for portraying modern youth. The film also won a national award. for which he wrote the lyrics. He went on to make Don’s commercial success (2006). He made a short film called Positive (2007), to raise awareness of HIV-AIDS.
Although he first started his acting career with The Fakir of Venice, his official debut was with Rock On !! (2008), for which he won a second national award for Best Hindi Feature Film as a producer, and engaged in further experimentation before writing the screenplay (dialogues), produced and acted for success critic and commercial Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara (2011)), which won him four Filmfare Awards.
He married Adhuna Bhabani in 2000, after being in a relationship with her for 3 years. They first met while filming her directorial debut Dil Chahta Hai in 2001, which also marked Adhuna’s debut as a Bollywood hairdresser. The couple have two daughters named Shakya and Akira. On January 21, 2016, the couple officially announced their separation after 16 years of marriage.
||Bulbul (by his nanny)
||Actor, Producer, Director, Screenwriter, Singer
||in centimeters– 175 cm
in meters– 1.75 m
in feet inches– 5’ 9”
||in kilograms– 70 kg
in pounds– 154 lbs
|Body Measurements (approx.)
||– Chest: 41 inches
– Waist: 30 inches
– Biceps: 14 inches
||Adhuna Bhabani (m.2000-div.2016)
Daughters: Shakya & Akira
||Father– Javed Akhtar (Lyricist and Scriptwriter)
Mother– Honey Irani (Actress & screenwriter, Farhan’s mother by birth), Shabana Azmi (Stepmother)
Sister– Zoya Akhtar (Elder, Director & Screenwriter)
|Date of Birth
||9 January 1974
|Age (as in 2019)
||Mumbai, Maharashtra India
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign
||Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh (Settled in Mumbai)
||Maneckji Cooper School, Mumbai
||H.R. College of Commerce and Economics (he was dismissed from the college in the 2nd year due to attendance shortage)
||Sea Spring Bungalow No 1, B J Road, Bandstand, Mumbai – 400050
||Collecting Gadgets, Singing
||On his right shoulder: dolphin/shark
|Awards, Honours, Achievements
2002: Critics Award for Best Movie, Best Screenplay for Dil Chahta Hai
2009: Best Male Debut for Rock On!!
2012: Best Supporting Actor for Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara
2014: Best Actor for Bhaag Milkha BhaagNational Awards
2002: Best Feature Film in Hindi for Dil Chahta Hai
2009: Best Feature Film in Hindi for Rock On!!
Relationships & more
||Adhuna Bhabani (Hairstylist)
Shraddha Kapoor (Actress)
Shibani Dandekar (Actress, VJ)
Akhtar has been in a relationship with Indian VJ Shibani Dandekar since 2018.
||Homemade food, The classic Mumbai Vada Pao, Kebabs, Mutton Biryani
||Bollywood: Guru Dutt, Bimal Roy, Raj Kapoor, Vijay Anand
Hollywood: Robert Di Nero, Martin Scorsese, Ridley Scott, Woody Allen, Billy Wilder
||The Wizard of Oz (1939)
Some unknown facts about
- Does Farhan Akhtar smoke?: No (Quit)
- Does Farhan Akhtar drink alcohol?: Yes
Farhan Akhtar with a bottle of alcohol
- He belongs to a family of poets and writers; like his grandfather, Jan Nisar Akhtar was an Urdu poet, who was the great-grandson of the poet Muztar Khairabadi.
- Since his childhood, he has that bug of acting in himself, as he used to roam around in the house with a toy gun thinking that villains are there.
- He was a very naughty and mysterious child; as once her mom told that while she was busy in her meeting, Frahan came and asked to bath in her room, to which she agreed. Later, she found that Farhan was bathing on her bed with a tub and mug in his hand.
- Once, he was dismissed from HR College in the second year of his Commerce degree.
- In his teens, he worked as a film distributor for Yash Raj Films and then he worked for 3 years at Script Shop under the team of advertisement production.
- Initially, he worked as an assistant director in films such as Lamhe and Himalay Putra.
Farhan Akhtar assisted in Direction Of Movies Lamhe and Himalay Putra
- In spite of watching ‘Sholay’ 50 times, he didn’t find it perfect and said that ‘Deewar’ was much better than that.
- He was very young when his parents got separated and his father, Javed Akhtar, married actress Shabana Azmi in 1984.
Farhan Akhtar’s Childhood Photo
- He has Katsaridaphobia, i.e. fear of cockroaches and he dreams of overcoming it one day.
- Farhan was the first choice for the film Rang De Basanti, but later it went to Aamir Khan.
- Farhan wrote “Dil Chahta Hai” when his mother gave him an ultimatum that she will throw him out of the house if he didn’t do anything with his life.
- In 2002, he appeared as one of the nine judges in Femina Miss India, a famous beauty pageant.
- He gets on his nerves whenever he sees some unorganised stuff around him.
- Although he knew to ride car since his 20s, he learnt to ride the bike at the time he signed Karthik Calling Karthik.
- After he solved Rubik’s cube for his movie Karthik Calling Karthik, he became so passionate and addicted towards it that he used to solve it everywhere in parties, shoots, meetings, and get-togethers.